Beautiful Landscape Tree, PandanusBY WIKILAWN | MAY 24TH, 2011 | SHRUBS AND BUSHES, TREES, ZONE 10A, ZONE 10B, ZONE 11
Pandanus is a large genus of about 600 trees and shrubs from Asia and Africa. Most plants in this species have broad and dense leaves. These deciduous plants produce male and female flowers on separate plants. Fruits resemble the fruit of pineapple plant. Pandanus are a good choice for planting outdoors for their handsome foliage. They also make spectacular container plants for ornamental purposes.
How to Grow Pandanus
Since most species of Pandanus grow alongside coastal belts, they require humidity and generous watering. Most species can be propagated from stem cuttings, offsets, tubers, or by layering.
Popular Varieties of Pandanus
Pandanus Utilis: Commonly known as Madagascar Screw Pine, Pandanus Utilis turns into a medium sized tree of about 20 meters. The trunk is stout and bears a canopy of twisted, fan-like leaves. Leaves are usually 2 meters or long. This is a perfect plant if you are looking for a striking landscape design. Grown for its leaves that are used for many purposes, Pandanus Utilis is evergreen tree and can be propagated easily from root balls, cuttings, or offsets.
Wikilawn’s mission is to provide the best resources and information to help you enjoy your outdoor spaces the way you want. Whether you are a DIY, lawn-loving, gardening guru, or someone who wants help in picking a local lawn care professional, we can smooth your path to a beautiful backyard!
- Best Flowering Shrub to Grow in Your GardenSEPTEMBER 5TH, 2016
- Fragrant and Winter Flowering Shrub: Luculia gratissimaNOVEMBER 28TH, 2012
- 6 Flowering Shrubs for Gardens and LandscapesDECEMBER 28TH, 2010
- Hardy, Evergreen Flowering Shrub: Kalmia AngustifoliaJULY 13TH, 2011
- Symphoricarpos albus, the Snowberry ShrubFEBRUARY 7TH, 2013
- Lovely Flowering Bush for Beginners: Forsythia x IntermediaNOVEMBER 11TH, 2011
- Evergreen Shrub with Lovely Fragrant Flowers: PimeleaOCTOBER 5TH, 2011
- Hardy Flowering Plant for Garden Borders: Jerusalem SageNOVEMBER 17TH, 2011
- Justicia brandegeana, The Shrimp Plant for Tropical GardensMAY 8TH, 2012
- Hardy Shrub and Ground Cover for Tropical Climate: KennediaOCTOBER 19TH, 2012
- Catharanthus Roseus, Evergreen Flowering ShrubMAY 15TH, 2011
- Lovely Landscape Plant: Euphorbia lambii, the Tree EuphorbiaMARCH 13TH, 2013