Indoor Ornamental Plant for Warm Climates: Schefflera arboricolaBY WIKILAWN | DECEMBER 11TH, 2011 | EVERGREEN, FOLIAGE PLANT, INDOOR, ZONE 10A, ZONE 10B, ZONE 9A, ZONE 9B
Schefflera is a small shrubby tree often found in tropical and subtropical regions almost all across the world. Most of the species perform very well both indoors and outdoors and make excellent foliage plants in warmer areas. Schefflera are fast growing plants and are typically useful for in landscapes or massive plantation schemes. The most popular of species from this genus is Schefflera arboricola – a common indoor ornamental plant with abundance of glossy green leaves. It is commercially grown and sold as Hawaiian Elf.
How to Grow Schefflera arboricola
Schefflera arboricola like most species of this genus produces large palmate leaves in a set of seven or eight leaflets in a circular pattern. It propagates easily from seeds, cuttings or by layering. For best results, provide it with bright sunlight and water only when the soil is dry. When growing it indoors, make sure that the plant receives direct light at least in the morning. Schefflera arboricola is also available with variegated foliage. Flowers appear on long stalk but are not much significant.
It is a good subject of bonsai experiments as well. When grown indoors, regular pruning would help keep your plants is good shape.
Wikilawn’s mission is to provide the best resources and information to help you enjoy your outdoor spaces the way you want. Whether you are a DIY, lawn-loving, gardening guru, or someone who wants help in picking a local lawn care professional, we can smooth your path to a beautiful backyard!
- Tropical Flowering Shrub: Odontonema strictum, FirespikeOCTOBER 2ND, 2012
- Lovely Indoor Foliage Plant: Balfour AraliaMAY 28TH, 2017
- Fragrant and Winter Flowering Shrub: Luculia gratissimaNOVEMBER 28TH, 2012
- Hardy, Evergreen Flowering Shrub: Kalmia AngustifoliaJULY 13TH, 2011
- Jabuticaba, The Brazilian Grape TreeFEBRUARY 18TH, 2012
- Akebia quinata, the Chocolate VineMARCH 28TH, 2013
- Ornamental Foliage Plant for Tropics: Lipstick PalmJULY 31ST, 2011
- Kalanchoe beharensis, the Feltbush PlantMARCH 10TH, 2015
- Tropical Foliage Plants for Beginners: HoffmanniaJANUARY 11TH, 2012
- Evergreen Shrub for Beautiful Fences and Hedges: PyracanthaJANUARY 6TH, 2012
- Ornamental Shrub with Fragrant Flowers: Elaeagnus pungensNOVEMBER 27TH, 2012
- Easy to Grow Ferns for Hanging Baskets: PellaeaOCTOBER 22ND, 2011