Fragrant and Winter Flowering Shrub: Luculia gratissimaBY WIKILAWN | NOVEMBER 28TH, 2012 | COLD CLIMATE, EVERGREEN, FLOWERS, FOLIAGE PLANT, SHRUBS AND BUSHES
The plant in picture is Luculia gratissima – an excellent bloomer and ornamental shrub from south Asia particularly from the Himalayas. Luculia gratissima belongs to the family of popular flowering shrubs and trees including Ixora, Gardenia and Hamelia. It is an evergreen shrub or small tree (up to 5 meters) that bears beautiful glossy leaves and produces abundance of fragrant flower in fall and winter. The masses of pink flowers spread delightful and jasmine-like scent.
Luculia gratissima is a bit difficult to grow in garden in garden as it thrives in a very limited spectrum of day and night temperature (between 28 to 80 F). It also requires long exposure to indirect sunlight, higher level of moisture and well-drained soil.
Though a bit difficult to grow, Luculia gratissima is a very rewarding plant that produces long lasting and fragrant winter flowering. It is usually propagated from seeds or hardwood cuttings. Other popular species include: Luculia grandiflora and L. intermedia.
Wikilawn’s mission is to provide the best resources and information to help you enjoy your outdoor spaces the way you want. Whether you are a DIY, lawn-loving, gardening guru, or someone who wants help in picking a local lawn care professional, we can smooth your path to a beautiful backyard!
- Ornamental Tree for Gardens and Landscapes: Schotia brachypetalaSEPTEMBER 23RD, 2013
- Nasturtium, Jewels in My GardenMAY 4TH, 2011
- Low Maintenance Shrubs for Arid Climate: MyoporumDECEMBER 17TH, 2013
- Colorful, Ornamental Flowering Plants: BellflowerJUNE 30TH, 2011
- Lovely and Colorful Shrub for Evergreen Gardens: Nandina domesticaMAY 10TH, 2012
- Eucharis grandiflora, the Amazon LilyOCTOBER 10TH, 2012
- 9 Lovely Plants for Beautiful Indoor FoliageAUGUST 28TH, 2014
- Adenium Obesum, The Desert RoseAPRIL 7TH, 2011
- Evergreen Shrub for Beautiful Fences and Hedges: PyracanthaJANUARY 6TH, 2012
- Evergreen, Fragrant Flowering Bush: Cheiranthus, WallflowerOCTOBER 10TH, 2011
- Stapelia GiganteaMARCH 20TH, 2010
- Ornamental Flowering Plant for Gardens: Torenia FournieriSEPTEMBER 14TH, 2011