Xerosicyos danguyi, the Silver Dollar PlantBY WIKILAWN | MARCH 2ND, 2016 | CLIMBER, CREEPERS, DROUGHT TOLERANT PLANTS, EVERGREEN, ZONE 10A, ZONE 10B, ZONE 8A, ZONE 8B, ZONE 9A, ZONE 9B
Xerosicyos danguyi or Silver Dollar Plant (Buy seeds online) is an evergreen climber from arid regions of Madagascar. It is a drought tolerant and hardy succulent that can survive really high temperatures and long spells of drought. If you are new to the world of houseplants, Xerosicyos danguyi is a nice plant to start with.
Xerosicyos danguyi belongs to the family of squash, cucumber, and watermelon and shares many characteristics with its cousins. Hobbyists like the Silver Dollar Plant for its round, succulent, and silver-green leaves giving the plant its common name, ‘Silver Dollar Plant’. These unusual round leaves grow along a cylindrical stem that usually grows up to 20 inches. In wild, Xerosicyos danguyi uses its tendrils to hook up with surrounding plants to keep it from falling on the ground. Clusters of tiny flower of pale-green color appear in spring.
How to Grow Xerosicyos danguyi, the Silver Dollar Plant
Xerosicyos danguyi can be easily grown in a well-drained soil and under sunny conditions. Being a drought-tolerant succulent, the Silver Dollar Plant requires only occasional watering. If you are growing it in a pot, water it thoroughly and then allow the soil to dry out completely before the next watering. In colder climates, Silver Dollar Plant can be grown indoors in hanging baskets. Xerosicyos danguyi can be propagated from seeds and cuttings. Plants grown from seeds tend to form caudex on maturity.
Wikilawn’s mission is to provide the best resources and information to help you enjoy your outdoor spaces the way you want. Whether you are a DIY, lawn-loving, gardening guru, or someone who wants help in picking a local lawn care professional, we can smooth your path to a beautiful backyard!
- Lovely Flowering Shrub for All Places: Polygala myrtifoliaMAY 21ST, 2012
- Designing Beautiful Landscape Designs with BamboosDECEMBER 22ND, 2014
- Winter Flowering Shrub: Jasminum nudiflorumDECEMBER 7TH, 2014
- Moringa Oleifera, the Miracle TreeAUGUST 20TH, 2010
- Unusual, Fragrant Flowers of Brugmansia: Angel’s TrumpetSEPTEMBER 2ND, 2011
- Lovely, Summer Flowering Shrub for Gardens: Weigela floridaMAY 18TH, 2012
- Ornamental Garden Tree: Podocarpus Macrophyllus, KusamakiFEBRUARY 28TH, 2012
- Evergreen Shrub for Lovely Gardens: Carissa carandasJANUARY 14TH, 2013
- Aromatic Flowering Shrub: Cistus LadaniferFEBRUARY 12TH, 2012
- Ornamental Red Ginger Plant: Alpinia purpurataSEPTEMBER 10TH, 2012
- Colorful Shrub for Hedges and Screens: Photinia Glabra ‘Rubens’DECEMBER 13TH, 2011
- Lovely Flowering Vine for Tropical Garden: Distictis buccinatoriaAUGUST 6TH, 2012